Friday 24 February 2017

Lessons From My Writathon - 21 Days Writing Challenge


I usually wonder why I don't possess this special ability like my friends who write awesome articles. As an avid reader, I had always thought some people have special talent to turn out those numerous books, articles and posts that keep us glued to a paper, mobile or computer screen. My Writathon experience sufficiently confounded the veracity of this claim.

I have learnt in this writing challenge the pragmatic approach to becoming a prolific writer whose works will inspire millions.

One of such is to write consistently. No one becomes an excellent writer by mere serendipity. I have to write always, if possible, everyday.  I have learnt how I can avoid brain-drain by consciously examining my daily experiences; encounters at work, on the bus, at a store or any other place. Most renown writers share profound lessons from situations they encounter everyday.


It is impossible to circumvent this process of growing from a budding writer to that of prominence. I now feel empathy with writers who churn out volumes with thousands of words and how they got that far. Not necessarily because they are garrulous, but they gradually evolved from writing tersely to producing exorbitant ones.

I have learnt that I might not feel like writing every time, just as I don't feel like rising from bed on some mornings - a feeling not unique to me. However, same way I still have to go about my daily activities and be successful at them, I must also be belligerent to overcome the inertia that keeps me from filling my paper with ink. This is one major breakthrough I have had as a result of joining the writing challenge.

Beyond writing consistently, I have learnt useful ingredients of excellent writing. I have been empowered to keep my reader hypnotized by using active words that show I am in control. This is how illustrious writers spur their audience to action.

The right application of punctuation marks that indicate breaks and stops will also keep my writing from being soporific so the reader does not get lost amidst my plethora of words. It will set the mood and safely convey the right emotions  the piece should arouse - anger, surprise, intrigues and so on. Poor punctuation is noticeable to whoever sets out to read, not only to the astute observer.

The writing challenge has also boost my confidence in my writing. I used to think my articles must be 'widely acceptable', now I have learnt they should reflect my convictions and eccentricity; my writing must reflect my persuasion about the subject matter. Without sounding egocentric, I must write, first, to please myself before I please the audience. That is not to overrule the decorous standards of writing.

Finally, Writathon has increased my consciousness when I read. I now observe the styles used by other writers and how they have succeeded in the art. Ultimately, I will build  a more panoramic view of life.

Since I joined the challenge, I have seen perceptible improvements in my writing. My hitherto, worn writing skills have now been made resplendent.  I am now better equipped to traverse the tempestuous journey of becoming an excellent writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment