Thursday 2 February 2017

Lessons From My Failure


I gained admission into college just like many other high-fliers who make distinctions in all subjects in highschool certification exams. However, my only 'C' came from Chemistry - a course I chose to just get along with.

As a freshman, I had to take courses from the sciences, so physical chemistry appeared again! This time I developed more interest, just so I could get the nitty-gritty of the course. The mid-semester test came and I spanked 70%. Not bad, considering the mass failure that resulted from that test.

My approach to studying soon changed, as I devoted more time studying compilation of past examination questions as against  perusing the course material, a change in approach necessitated by testimonies from seniors - who had 90% and above - about how questions were repeated year-in, year-out. Just before the exams, I could literally tell you the answer to a question without reading the entire question. I was that precise!

Exam day came as a shock because we were served fresh questions from the ovens of physical chemistry. To complicate matters, we were made to write our answers to the questions  in black spaces, an approach adopted for the first time in a long time! Multiple choice questions was the status quo.

That meant I will provide a logical approach to solving the problems, I also had to supply the correct units without which the solution will be considered incorrect. I leave you to imagine the rest of my experience in that examination and my score overall. You will probably share great empathy with me.

That encounter has left me with a lesson  useful for both academic examinations and examinations in the school of life, which usually comes unprecedented; I cannot afford to attack every problem with the same approach I used at previous times, life will throw different challenges at me regardless of my preparation. I must therefore see a new challenge as an opportunity to up my game.

I have also learnt not to seek hard and fast rules to arriving at solutions. No aspect of a task, project or assignment should be done without paying attention to details or every constituent part. What if that slide you planned to gloss over caught the attention of the board during your presentation?

Do not leave anything to chance. Prepare adequately for every test, project or presentation within the time available to you. It has been said that luck usually comes to those who were not expecting it.

Image Credit: jamesjshaw.com

3 comments:

  1. "...that encounter has left me with a lesson useful for both academic examinations and examinations in the school of life, which usually comes unprecedented; I cannot afford to attack every problem with the same approach I used at previous times, life will throw different challenges at me regardless of my preparation. I must therefore see a new challenge as an opportunity to up my game..."

    I caught the quoted text from the post and it's a lesson, indeed.

    Every challenge has its uniqueness, though might seems similar.

    Therefore, every challenge requires a unique approach to solving it.

    I believe you'll go places with your writing skill...great work, keep it flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. We can only get better!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete